I’m currently employed full-time in Queensland
This stream is for migrants who are currently living and working in Queensland in their skilled occupation (or closely related), and have an occupation that has been identified as a shortage in Queensland. Applicants under this stream must not be currently studying.
Nominations are offered under the following visa subclasses:
|Skilled Nominated (Permanent) visa (subclass 190)||This visa is for skilled workers and postgraduate alumni who wish to live and work in Queensland permanently.|
|Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)||This visa is a provisional visa that allows nominated skilled workers to work and live in regional Queensland for four years, and is a pathway to permanent residency. Employment can be undertaken in the following ways:
Excludes Greater Brisbane Area and the Gold Coast. Includes the following postcodes: 4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272, 4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4515, 4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899.
To be eligible for Queensland nomination, you must meet both the Australian Department of Home Affairs criteria and Business and Skilled Migration Queensland (BSMQ) criteria for your chosen visa category.
The Department of Home Affairs criteria requires you to:
- have a points test result of 60 or higher, inclusive of state nomination points
- have a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation
- be under 45 years of age
- meet the minimum English language requirement of COMPETENT, unless a higher level is required by your assessing authority
- submit additional documents if invited to lodge an application for a subclass 190 or subclass 489 visa.
BSMQ criteria requires you to:
- have an occupation on the QSOL ‘Working in Queensland’ list
- provide evidence of full-time employment (post-qualification) in your nominated occupation for the past six months (subclass 190) or four months (subclass 489) in Queensland
- provide evidence of ongoing employment with a Queensland employer registered in Australia for a further 12 months (minimum of 35 hours per week)
- commit to living and working in Queensland for two years from visa grant.
Step 1: Review your eligibility criteria, visa conditions and document checklist on the Department of Home Affairs website and the BSMQ website. Ensure you meet both the Department of Home Affairs criteria and BSMQ criteria, and have all your documentation (including proof of registration if required for your particular occupation) ready before you apply.
Step 2: For Queensland State nomination, submit an EOI with SkillSelect. Please ensure all information, such as work experience, is included in your EOI. Preference will be given to applicants who select “Queensland” as their nominating state of choice over applicants who select ‘ANY’ state.
Step 3: BSMQ assesses all EOIs that meet the Department of Home Affairs and BSMQ criteria. If you are successful, will receive an email invitation to lodge an application and be requested to provide the BSMQ required documents. Documents are to be uploaded electronically, through the Document Portal link provided in your invitation email. We no longer accept attachments sent to us by email.
Step 4: When you have received your invitation:
- Upload required documents
- Pay the non-refundable application fee to BSMQ in order to finalise your application.
BSMQ will review your application and may request further information.
Please note: you will be given 14 days to finalise your application from the date of invitation. If you are unable to provide the relevant information within this time frame, you must seek an extension from BSMQ. Applications not finalised within time frames will be closed and applicants will need to submit a new EOI if they wish to re-seek Queensland nomination.
Step 5: Once your completed BSMQ application is received and approved, you will receive an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs to lodge your visa application. You will be given 60 days to lodge your application with the Department of Home Affairs.
Applicants currently working in Queensland may submit an application for either subclass 190 and subclass 489 nomination. Please ensure that you:
- familiarise yourself with the application process
- meet both the Department of Home Affairs criteria and BSMQ criteria for your chosen visa
- have all the following documentation prepared before applying
If you meet Queensland State Nomination requirements, you will be invited by BSMQ to lodge further documentation:
|Required documents||Skilled workers living in Queensland|
|State nomination application form|
|Settlement fund declaration form – for more information, click here|
|Statement – Why do you want to work and live in Queensland?|
|Evidence of ongoing job|| Min of 35 hours per week
2 current payslips
|Evidence of licensing or registration||See Skilled List|
|Statement of service (previous work experience)|
|Proof of residency|