Should I use a migration agent?

It is not necessary to have a migration agent in order to apply for State Nomination. You can submit your own application for State Nomination and for a visa without professional help.


Why should I use a migration agent?

If you are not sure which visa to apply for or are unsure about the application process, we would recommend seeking assistance from a migration agent, particularly for more complex visas. Migration agents offer a range of service and can help with choosing the right visa type for your individual circumstances. They can also assist you with your application process.

All migration agents are expected to act professionally, have a good knowledge of migration law, perform in a timely manner, detail all costs involved, keep you up to date with the application and progress, keep information confidential and abide by the migration agents’ code of conduct.

Immigration assistance can include:

It is important to note that using a migration agent or lawyer for visa applications may come with an additional fee and will not influence the outcome of applications.


Finding a migration agent in Australia

If you are engaging a migration agent in Australia, ensure that the agent is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). Only registered migration agents can legally give immigration assistance in Australia.


Search the Register of Migration Agents


You can find further information about registered migration agents on the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) or Migration Institute of Australia (MIA) websites.


Finding a Migration Agent Overseas

If you are using a migration agent within your own country, be careful of unlawful operators pretending to be registered migration agents. It is important to make sure they are also registered with MARA or that they meet local laws and registration requirements in your country.

If you have a concern about a registered migration agent, you should contact MARA. MARA investigates complains against registered migration agents and may take disciplinary action against them.


Further Information

Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA)

Migration Institute of Australia (MIA)

Department of Home Affairs (DHA)


Community Legal Advice

Community Legal Centres can provide free information, advice and referral, representation and casework, community education and advocacy for vulnerable clients and communities facing legal problems. You can also contact the Immigration Law Clinic run by the Bond University, which can provide you with basic advice.