Did you know?
Located 200km north of Brisbane, the Wide Bay Burnett region covers Bundaberg and Fraser Coast. This region is known to have the best whale watching spots in Australia, and it is also home to the beautiful Southern Great Barrier Reef and largest sand island in the world, Fraser Island.
The main urban centre is Bundaberg with a population of about 100,000. It is also internationally known for the Bundaberg Brewed Drinks, especially their ginger beer, and Bundaberg Rum. Other urban centres in this region include Gympie, Fraser Coast, Hervey Bay, Maryborough, Bundaberg, North Burnett and South Burnett.
Latest in Industry, Business, Tourism and Projects
- $2.5 million upgrade for the Bundaberg Airport.
- Revamp for the Burnett Heads streetscape.
- $71 million Rubyanna Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Maryborough Portside Cultural Precinct development.
- Gympie Youth Precinct Recreation Hub development.
- Food and agribusiness
- Fisheries and aquaculture
- Minerals and mining
- Education and training
- Food Processing.
Arriving in a new city and region can be daunting, so it is useful to take advantage of the information which is out there to make the process of settling in easier.
The largest industry in this region is Health Care and Social Assistance. The area’s horticultural industry is also a major regional employer, economic driver and contributor to Australia’s food security. You can find links to employment opportunities with the Bundaberg Regional Council and available employment opportunities in the Bundaberg Region on Seek here.
It is advisable to buy a car to get around the region. For transport options to Brisbane, there is a Bundaberg Regional airport which services the region with regular Qantaslink and Alliance Airlines between Bundaberg and Brisbane. There is also the Hervey Bay Airport which has flights to Brisbane, Sydney and local tourist destinations. There are also Tilt train services between Bundaberg and Brisbane, which include RailBus Coach connections to Hervey Bay.
Bus services for the local areas include:
- Bundaberg – Duffy’s buses
- Hervey Bay – Wide Bay Transit
- Gympie – Polleys Coaches
- Maryborough – Wide Bay Transit
- North Burnett – North Burnett Transport Service
- South Burnett – Pursers Coaches
The Queensland state government has an online search available for the public and private schools. TAFE East Coast is the largest VET provider in the Fraser Coast area. Central Queensland University (CQU) with a Bundaberg campus, and University of Sunshine Coast (USQ), with a Fraser Coast campus are the two universities in the region which offer highly respected education.
New Arrival Support
Check the local council in your area for new arrival support:
- Bundaberg Regional Council
- Gympie Regional Council
- Fraser Coast Regional Council
- North Burnett Regional Council
- South Burnett Regional Council.
Major Events and Festivals
Cultural and major events happening in and around the region, include:
- June – Relish Food and Wine Festival, Fraser Coast
- June – July – Maryborough Mary Poppins Festival
- July – Bundy Flavours & Winter Feast Farmers Market
- August – Gympie Music Muster
- September – Tin Can Bay Seafood Festival
- November – Bundaberg Cup
To find out more about what’s happening in the area, check out Bundaberg North Burnett websites.
Other Useful links
- BSMQ – Cities and Regions
- Queensland Government – for business, industry and services
- Multicultural Resource Directory search
- Tourism and Events Queensland
- Trade and Investment Queensland
- Study Queensland
- Queensland Community Legal Centres