Did you know?
Central Queensland’s major regional centre is Rockhampton, also known as the ‘beef capital of Australia.’ Australia’s national beef expo is held once every three years in Rockhampton and will be held from 6 to 12 May 2018. Rockhampton acts as a business gateway for the mining and agricultural industries, while the Gladstone region is a thriving industrial base served by one of Australia’s busiest ports. The other service centres include Emerald and Yeppoon.
Latest in industry, business, tourism and projects
- Adani named Rockhampton as one of its fly-in fly-out (FIFO) worker hubs in a major announcement in October 2017, which will provide 1700 new jobs for the Rockhampton region in construction and mining.
- Gladstone’s $42 million hospital emergency department upgrade has started.
- Young’s Bus Service has moved its entire transport operation to the Livingstone Shire Council’s Gateway Business and Industry Precinct, in the Yeppoon CBD. The Gateway will be delivered over the next 10 to 15 years and is dedicated to commercial business as a master planned business park.
- Food and agribusiness
- Transport and logistics
- Minerals and mining
- Resources and energy
- Education and training.
For more information about investment and business, please see TIQ Central Queensland investment opportunities and the Rockhampton brochure. You can also check out Capricorn Enterprise and Advance Rockhampton.
Arriving in a new city and region can be daunting, so take advantage of the information that is out there to make the process of settling in easier.
It is advisable to buy a car to get around, depending on where you are living.
Rockhampton – The Capricorn Sunbus and Young’s Bus Service run the bus services in Rockhampton. Rockhampton has a regional airport which services Central Queensland with flights to Brisbane, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns, and the Gold Coast. The Tilt Train also runs between Brisbane and Rockhampton.
Yeppoon – Young Bus Service also operates bus services for the Yeppoon Town. They also have bus services from Rockhampton to Yeppoon.
The Queensland state government has an online search available for the public and private schools in Central Queensland. CQ University is the main university and VET provider in the area, with Central Queensland campuses in Emerald, Gladstone, Yeppoon and Rockhampton.
New Arrival Support
Check out the Rockhampton Regional Council’s website and Live Rockhampton for more information about living and working in Rockhampton. Multicultural Development Australia also has an office in Rockhampton and they assist with migrant settlement.
Other council websites for the Central Queensland area include, Gladstone Regional Council which has a new resident program, the Central Highlands Regional Council which covers Emerald, and Livingstone Shire Council which covers Yeppoon.
Major events and festivals
Cultural and major events happening in and around Central Queensland, include:
- May – Beef Australia Expo (once every three years), Wholly Cow Month and Gold Mount Festival
- Gladstone’s Multicultural Week
- March – April – Gladstone Harbour Festival
- June – EcoFest
- July – Rockhampton River Festival
- August – Rockhampton Cultural Festival
- November – Opera in the Caves
Other useful links
- BSMQ – Cities and Regions
- Queensland Government – for business, industry and services
- Multicultural Resource Directory search
- Tourism and Events Queensland
- Trade and Investment Queensland
- Study Queensland
- Queensland Community Legal Centres