Did you know?
Central West Queensland is known for wide open skies and a dry warm climate. The major towns includes Barcaldine, Longreach, Birdsville, Winton and Mount Isa. You can even find dinosaur footprints and fossils near Winton, Australia, camel racing in Boulia and where man meets beast in the Mount Isa Mines Rotary Rodeo.
The region is serviced by major highways, a long-distance passenger rail service and six airports. This area is home to a multi-million dollar agriculture industry that includes beef, cotton, grain, and fruit production. The mining and resource sector is also a large part of the region’s export industry and is home to a large portion of the world’s lead and zinc resources, as well as large reserves in silver, copper and gold.
Latest in Industry, Business, Tourism and Projects
For more information about major projects in the region, see the Department of State Development. The responsible council for the area may also have further information, which you can find on this local government area boundaries map.
- Food and agriculture
- Mining and resources.
For more information about investment and business, please see TIQ Central West Queensland investment opportunities.
Arriving in a new city and region can be daunting, so it is useful to take advantage of the information which is out there to make the process of settling in easier.
It is advisable to buy a car to get around the region.
New Arrival Support
Check the local council in your area for new arrival support:
- Barcaldine Regional Council
- Longreach Regional Council
- Dimantina Shire Council
- Winton Shire Council
- Mount Isa City Council.
Major Events and Festivals
Cultural and major events happening in and around the region, include:
- April – Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival
- May – Barcaldine Tree of Knowledge Festival
- June – July – Winton’s Vision Splendid Outback Film Festival
- July – Birdsville Big Red Bash, Boulia Camel Races
- August – Mount Isa Mines Rotary Rodeo
- September – Outback Festival in Winton (2019)
To find out more about what’s happening in the area, check out the Outback Queensland website.
Other Useful links
- BSMQ – Cities and Regions
- Queensland Government – for business, industry and services
- Multicultural Resource Directory search
- Tourism and Events Queensland
- Trade and Investment Queensland
- Study Queensland
- Queensland Community Legal Centres