Please see below the responses to frequently asked questions about Queensland state skilled migration.

What is State Nomination?


State Migration Plans were introduced in Australia to allow individual states and territories to sponsor skilled migration applicants under a broad range of industries, to meet skilled shortages within the state. The state nominating body specifies which business and skilled visas state and territories can nominate applicants under, and specify the number of visas that will be granted as part of this program.


Who is BSMQ?


Business and Skilled Migration Queensland (BSMQ) is the state nominating body for the Queensland government and a business unit of Trade and Investment Queensland (TIQ).  In partnership with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), BSMQ nominates successful skilled and businesses applicants wanting to establish themselves in Queensland.


How much does it cost to apply for state nomination?


There is a fee charge for each application and the fee is non-refundable. Please refer to the BSMQ Fee Schedule for further details.


What are the conditions of Queensland Government state nomination?


Applicants nominated by the Queensland Government agree to live and work in the state of Queensland for a period of two years and must advise our office of their contact and employment details once settled in Queensland. For more information see How to Apply.


When does the two year commitment to Queensland for nomination begin?


The commitment commences on the date that you arrive in Queensland to live permanently. If you already reside in Queensland, it is from the date of your visa grant. 


How long do I have to submit my BSMQ required documents?


You are given 14 days to submit your required document to BSMQ. If you are unable to provide all your documents for processing within the 14 days, you just need to contact your case officer and request an extension of time.


How long is skilled state nomination valid for?


State nomination is valid for 60 days. You must complete your application with DIBP in order to be granted a visa.


How much money do I need to migrate to Queensland?


The amount of settlement funds required depends on the number of people that will be on the application form. See Settlement Funds Fact Sheet on our downloads page as to how this is calculated.


Is an English language test required as part of my nomination application?


All applicants are required to sit an English language test as part of the migration process. However, passport holders and citizens of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America, or the Republic of Ireland do not need to unless they wish to gain further points.    


Which English language tests does the Queensland Government accept other than IELTS?


The Queensland Government will accept all English language tests that may be used for a Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) visa application.  These include IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, and PTE Academic and Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE).  Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for language tests accepted and translation of test scores.


What is the English language requirement?


The minimum English language requirement is an outcome of ‘COMPETENT’ unless otherwise specified by assessing/licensing or registration body.


My occupation is not on the Occupation Lists (QSOL), will it be added?


Unfortunately, we are unable to advise you if and when your occupation may be added to the QSOL. Refer to our website for any updates.


Should I use a migration agent?


It is not necessary however, it is up to you whether you use an agent or not. You can find further information about Australian registered migration agents on the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) or Migration Institute of Australia (MIA) websites.


I am a PhD graduate, can I apply for state nomination?


In order to be eligible for state nomination with a PhD, applicants will need to have completed a PhD at a university in Queensland in the past two years, in an occupation that is listed on the DIBP’s relevant list of eligible skilled occupations. 


Is there a work experience requirement for applicants applying with a PhD?


No. Applicants applying under the PhD alumni pathway are not required to have any previous work experience.


I have a PhD from a university outside of Australia – am I eligible to apply?


Not under the alumni stream, but you can apply if you have an occupation on the ‘Offshore’ list. 

However, please check if there are any additional requirements against your nominated occupation – which may include a job offer or work experience requirements. 


Can I apply for QLD nomination prior to finishing my studies?


No. BSMQ aims for everyone to be able to enter into full time employment as quickly as possible which cannot occur if you have not completed your studies.


Can I apply for nomination before I have completed my PhD?


No, applicants applying under the Alumni stream may only apply once they have completed their PhD. Applicants must be able to provide a copy of their completion letter or other course completion documentation.


I am a Master’s graduate, can I apply for state nomination?


Only if you have an occupation listed on the Master’s QSOL and graduated from a university in Queensland. You must also meet our other employment requirements.


I have an undergraduate degree from a Queensland university, can I apply for state nomination?


Yes, you can, but you will not be able to apply through the postgraduate alumni stream.

You will have to apply through the “I’m working in Queensland” stream.



Am I eligible to apply for state nomination for the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa?


To be eligible for state nomination you must have an occupation on the relevant Queensland Skilled Occupation Lists (QSOL) and meet the occupation specific requirements stated on the list. You must also have a minimum of two years work experience (unless otherwise specified) and an English score of COMPETENT (unless otherwise specified) if offshore or interstate. If onshore, you provide evidence that you have worked for 4 months in a regional area of 6 months in metropolitan area as well as provide evidence of a job offer in the nominated or closely related occupation that is for a minimum of 12 months. If applying through the Alumni pathway, then provide evidence of study completion in Queensland.


What are the applicable postcode areas for the Skilled Nominated (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)?


Excludes Greater Brisbane Area and the Gold Coast. Includes the following postcodes: 4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4262, 4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4515, 4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899.

I have been granted nomination for the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) but I wanted the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa. What does that mean?


This means you did not meet the requirements for subclass 190 nomination. If your occupation is on the relevant occupation list and you meet all the relevant requirements for the subclass 190 visa, you can lodge another EOI and apply for a new nomination.


Does the work experience I gained prior to qualification count?


No. BSMQ only counts ‘post-qualification’ paid work experience toward the minimum work experience requirement.


Does my evidence have to be certified?


No, documents do not need to be certified for BSMQ, however they do need to be certified when lodging your visa application with DIBP.


Can I submit a paper application?


No, after an invitation is sent to you via email, all of your documents must be returned through our document portal as directed in the email. If you have more than one file to upload, then create the document as a multi page document and save as one file.


What happens if I do not make a payment or there is a payment error when I submit my application?


You must make payment at the time that you submit your documents in order to have your application processed. If you do not make the payment at this time, your file will not be processed until we receive payment or it could be closed if a significant period of time has elapsed. You would then have to lodge a new EOI and resubmit your required documents.

If there has been an error when you have attempted to submit payment, click the back button at the bottom and try again to enter your details. If you are still having difficulties in submitting your payment please contact our office at or call +61 7 3514 3013 between 9AM and 4PM Monday to Friday (AEST). Most payment issues are because:

  • there is insufficient funds on the card.
  • the bank has stopped the payment because it is seen as a suspicious withdrawal. You will have to speak with the bank and ask them to let the fee go through.
  • you are using a Debit Card instead of a Credit Card.


Does state nomination guarantee a visa grant?


State nomination does not guarantee a visa grant from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).


What happens if I receive an invitation to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection while I have an outstanding application for state nomination?


You are free to apply for the subclass 189 visa. However, if you do so, your application for state nomination will be declined, as we are no longer able to assess your application, because DIBP has locked access to your Expression of Interest in the SkillSelect database. The application fee is non-refundable.

If you still wish to pursue state nomination, you will need to:

  1. lodge a new EOI in Skillselect
  2. select only the intended visa class
  3. and select QLD as the preferred state.


I have paid the processing fee but have not received a receipt to confirm payment has been successfully paid


Once your payment has gone through, you will receive email receipt confirmation.

If you happen to have paid twice due to not realising the payment went through successfully, you will need to contact our office in order to request a refund of the second payment.